The Hokage (火影; Literally Meaning "Fire Shadow") are the leaders of Konohagakure. They are generally acknowledged as the strongest in the village, although ideology and renown plays a large part in their being chosen for the position. Four shinobi and one kunoichi have gained this title so far.
The title and role was created by Hashirama Senju shortly after the establishment of Konoha. After becoming Hokage, have their faces carved out in the monument behind it. The Hokage's office is located in the administrative section of the Academy.
List of Hokage
- Main Article: Hashirama Senju
Hashirama Senju (千手柱間, Senju Hashirama) was Konohagakure's First Hokage (初代火影, Shodai Hokage).
- Main Article: Tobirama Senju
Tobirama Senju (千手扉間, Senju Tobirama) was the Second Hokage (二代目火影, Nidaime Hokage) of Konohagakure.
- Main Article: Hiruzen Sarutobi
Hiruzen Sarutobi (猿飛ヒルゼン, Sarutobi Hiruzen) was the Third Hokage (三代目火影, Sandaime Hokage) of Konohagakure.
- Main Article: Minato Namikaze
Minato Namikaze (波風ミナト, Namikaze Minato) was the Fourth Hokage (四代目火影, Yondaime Hokage) of Konohagakure.
- Main Article: Tsunade
Tsunade (綱手, Tsunade) is the Fifth Hokage (五代目火影, Godaime Hokage) and is one of Konohagakure's legendary Sannin.
- According to Naruto, generally the new Hokage is selected by the current Hokage upon their retirement, but if the old Hokage dies or is incapacitated before being able to do so, the Fire Daimyō will appoint a Hokage Candidate upon the recommendation of the Konoha council and the Fire Daimyō council. Afterwards, the candidate will need to be approved by the jōnin of the village to become officially Hokage.